Community Flyers Policies and Procedures
Mount Vernon City Schools cooperates with local organizations, booster groups, and community outreach that sponsor activities of an educational/enrichment nature for students by posting flyers on our Community Bulletin Board and distributing material electronically through InstantConnect. All requests for flyer distribution must be approved by our District Office.
- Submit an electronic file of the literature as a PDF through the online Flyer Submission form with a description of the proposed recipients, and the date to distribute.
- A decision will be made within ten school days after the request for approval is submitted unless additional time is needed to determine the propriety of the proposed distribution more fully.
- If a flyer is approved, the person requesting approval will be notified by email.
- If approval for distribution is denied, the decision may be appealed to the Superintendent or the Superintendent’s designee in writing and shall state why the appellant believes the denial of approval was incorrect. The Superintendent or designee shall conduct such investigation as he/she deems necessary and shall render his/her decision in writing within five school days after receiving the written appeal, except when, in his/her judgment, additional time is needed to determine the propriety of the proposed distribution more fully.
Method of Flyer Distribution
- All approved flyers will be posted on the Community Bulletin Board web page for up to 60 days.
- Once flyers are posted on the Community Bulletin Board, a weekly notification of new flyers will be electronically distributed to parents via InstantConnect.
- Paper copy flyers will no longer be given to teachers or staff to distribute to students for taking home.
Literature must comply with the following guidelines in order to be approved for distribution.
- Flyers and activities posted on the Community Bulletin Board shall promote the intellectual, physical, personal, and social development of the students of the Mount Vernon School District.
- The flyer must not appear to bear the authority of the school, must not be primarily commercial in nature, and must display a disclaimer such as: “The opinions, products, activities and/or services of this organization are neither sponsored nor endorsed by the school district.”
- Flyers from outside organizations must be from a non-profit organization with a valid 501c3 tax ID. Exceptions may be for after-school activities, activities during school breaks, or summer camp offerings.
- The flyer must contain the name of the sponsoring entity; the contact information of the sponsor/organizer and specific information about the date, time, and location of the event/camp/activity.
- Submission forms must be completed, including targeted grade levels and dates of distribution as well as all other requested information.
- The content of the flyer/literature must be appropriate for the age and maturity level of the recipient, and the distribution of the flyer must not be inconsistent with or interfere with the educational mission of the district.
- Flyers that concern sexual or reproductive issues shall not be approved for distribution.
- Flyers that promote or oppose any political figure, candidate, or issue, including ballot issues of any kind, shall not be approved for distribution, except for those pertaining to district levies, bond issues, and board campaigns. Exceptions may be granted by the Board of Education for issues that directly affect Mount Vernon City Schools. These exceptions must have board resolution.