Mount Vernon City School District is dedicated to protecting the health, safety, and welfare of our educational environment. Together, we are committed to helping keep students, staff, families, and our community safe during the coronavirus pandemic.
Caregivers must remain attentive to the daily health of their children and are expected to continue to perform daily health and symptom checks before leaving for school. This includes being symptom-free for 24 hours while being fever-free without the use of fever-reducing medication. Please do not send your child to school ill. Our school district will follow directions from Knox Public Health and the Ohio Department of Health for the coronavirus.
Parents/Caregivers Expectations - Please read the following guidelines for parent/caregiver and student responsibilities for maintaining a safe and healthy school environment.
- Conduct a student wellness check prior to sending a student to school. The wellness check should include the following:
- Daily Home Screening
- A temperature check and students with temperatures 100 degrees or greater should stay home.
- Assess for one or more of the following symptoms (fever/chills, cough, fatigue, muscle or body aches, headache, loss of taste or smell, sore throat, congestion or runny nose, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea).
- Has a student had known close contact with a positive COVID-19 case.
- Anyone with these symptoms or exposure should not go to a MVCSD facility.
- Provide a mask(s) for your student to wear on the bus and throughout the school day.
- Limit visits to school as much as possible with a personal wellness check prior to coming to a school building.
- Read and follow all posted guidance and signage when entering the school building.
- Wearing a mask is required for all visitors that must report to the school.
- Ensure contact information is up-to-date in the event the nurse/health aide/staff needs to contact home.
- Ensure there are multiple, pre-arranged methods of getting a student home from school should they become ill or exhibit symptoms.
- Students need to be picked up within 30 minutes when contacted regarding an illness.
- No symptomatic student will ride the school bus.
- Students will be provided a monitored, separate, safe place away from other students and staff if they are showing signs of symptoms of COVID-19.
- Families will be notified of positive cases through the COVID dashboard.
- Individuals who have been exposed should follow quarantine and other recommendations from Knox Public Health. See links below for FAQs including if you are vaccinated:
- Wearing a mask is required throughout the school building.
- Face coverings are required for grades K-12 beginning September 2, 2021 and will be evaluated periodically based on the prevalence of COVID within our student body and local community.
- Will wash and sanitize hands regularly to prevent disease spread for at least 20 seconds, specifically before and after eating, as well as after using the restroom, and during provided opportunities throughout the day.
- Maintain maximum physical distance whenever possible throughout the school building.
- Should avoid touching their mouths, noses, and eyes because the virus easily enters the body through these membranes.
These guidelines are subject to change depending on current local public health concerns.